We are so happy to finally officially announce that our project ‘Positive Spaces For Positive Minds‘ has been nominated in the top 5 projects for a chance to secure £50,000 in funding from National Lottery through the People’s Projects!
The aim of the project is to create a genuinely safe space that welcomes everyone regardless of size, sexual orientation, gender identity or race. In turn, we aim to help participants become stronger mentally & feel better about their identity & body by a medium of aerial circus & bungee fitness activities. These activities are much more social, fun & inclusive!
What has led you to propose this project to The People’s Project, and what is the difference you hope to make?
- Our founder Holly is a transgender woman with lived experience of the abuse that the LGBTQ community faces.
- Co-founder Natalia experienced the effects of suicide after a family member took their own life due to a lack of mental health support
We hope to
- Help participants who suffer from social anxiety, low confidence, depression, and body consciousness become more resilient, confident & better equipped to cope with daily life.
- Help those suffering from social isolation (common in LGBTQ members) by providing them with a solid supportive community to facilitate the development of stable bonds & friendships.
- Bring participants & their families/friends together by putting on a free show, at the end of the project, which gives participants a chance to demonstrate their newly discovered circus skills to family & friends.
What activities will you deliver with your grant from the People’s Project?
- X1 Free Support Hour a week, which includes 30 minutes of Bungee Fitness & 30 minutes of group chat
- X1 Free Aerial Circus Class a week for low-income families/individuals who may not be able to attend due to financial hardship
- The grant will also help to keep Circus Strong running and provide more equipment that will allow to include more classes such as toddler sessions and additional kids classes.
How you know this project matters to the community you want to work with?
Check out the feedback we have received from LGBTQ members & Ashbourne locals:
‘I cannot recommend Circus Strong enough! I signed up for a beginner’s aerial hoop class 3 months ago after seeing it advertised and I’ve never felt so welcome in a fitness studio. I absolutely love it, the bungee fit classes are also excellent and a lot of fun and the CrossFit rig set-up is great for general fitness. A wonderful space full of wonderful people. Very lucky to have such a place in Ashbourne!’ Tash Rigby, Ashbourne resident (Google Review)
‘Another brilliant aerial session for Lucy and her fellow pupils today at Circus Strong CIC. Holly and Nat are just so brilliant with the little ones, absolutely fantastic instructors! I’m so glad they’re here in Ashbourne, cannot recommend them highly enough! Also, very ’parent proud’ to spot our Lucy-jo on their new flyers’ Jo Foxon, Ashbourne resident & mum of participant.
‘Thank you so much Holly! You’ve helped Jay feel so much more comfortable with their identity & given them something to look forward to each week’ Mum of a Non-Binary participant
We currently have X1 LGBTQ+ & X1 BAME Board Members. We plan to recruit X1 additional LGBTQ & X1 Ashbourne local to become board members by September 2023. This will ensure we are capturing local Ashbourne/LGBTQ views & sticking to our aim/delivering services that matter to the community. Want to be a part of the project? Just drop us a message on our socials or e-mail us at email@example.com
Vote for us!
As you can imagine, every vote matters!
The voting opens at 9am on Monday 15th on The People’s Project Website
Follow the 3 steps below to make sure your vote is counted:
- Find Our Project – Click on the direct link to our project or look for it under the name ‘Positive Spaces for Positive Minds’ from Circus Strong.
- Review & Submit – Before you submit your vote, you’ll have the chance to review your selection before filling in your details ready to submit.
- Verify Your Vote – In order for your vote to be counted, please make sure you verify your vote by clicking on the link sent to your e-mail or phone. This is super important as the vote will be disqualified if it’s not confirmed.
Don’t forget to follow us on social media! Look for @circusstroncic on facebook and instagram for all the up to date news and offers!